Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The hassle, and the memories.

Do any of you read Kelle Hampton's blog, Enjoying the Small Things? Well if you don't I highly recommend you take a look, I promise you will not be disappointed. The other day she wrote a post about making memories. I could have written this post, I related to it so well. Although I am positive she captured the thoughts in writing way better than I could ever. Anyway, she talks about the hassle of getting kids all ready to go on an adventure is almost always worth it in the end. Ah if this isn't more true, especially when you have more than one kid. If you want to read her post about this, go HERE!


When you have children, sometimes the thought of just getting everyone ready and out the door, in the car, without incident is just too overwhelming that you just might as well stay home. Even if you have one child, it's a lot harder to get out of the house to go somewhere than it is if it's just yourself you have to be worried about. There are many times, I thought about taking the kids somewhere and backed out because I just didn't have the energy to fight with Mason to get him dressed, and fight with Timothy over which toy he can take with them, and trying to buckle all three kids in the van. This is worse in the winter, when I think about having to bundle all three kids up, and then UNbundle them in the van, then bundle them back up. It's exhausting. But it makes me sad to think that maybe we missed out on all the memories.



Lately I have been trying to get past the hassle of adventuring out with three kids, alone, to make some memories. Yesterday was definitely one of those days. I heard about Lightning McQueen and Mater being on tour for the new Cars movie that is coming out in June. I knew I had to take the boys. They are obsessed with the Disney Cars movie. This was a chance to make memories!


I bundles all three kids up. The sun was shining, it wasn't super cold out, but the breeze was a little chilly. I got everyone in the van, and we got there a half hour early. Super. The line didn't seem too long, but long enough that I just prayed they could hold on without any tantrums.

Before the event even opened we had already moved up in line to to roped off lines. This was great. I knew it wouldn't be too long of a wait now! And the boys did awesome in line. There was a few times there started to get wound up, but for making a 4 and 2 year old stand in a line or an hour I think they did amazing!


After an hour in line we were finally into the event! The boys were ecstatic, and seeing them so happy made my heart happy. It's that feeling that you did the right thing. That the hassle was worth it. There were a few activities to do before you got to the cars, they were a little hard for the little ones.

Then we got our first look at Lightning, Mater, and the new Finn up close. Oh I think I was just as excited as the boys. Timothy could hardly contain himself. I was definitely in Timothy's world!


They had it set up to have pictures taken with each car. Then they would put your pictures online and you can print them out at home after 48 hours. Timothy went up to each car with a permagrin. Mason really wasn't so sure. I could not get him to go near them at all!


I even caught Timothy sneak under the rope to touch Lightning McQueen, he wasn't the only one. I didn't even yell at him! Their faces said it all. This is exactly why I go through the hassle of even leaving the house sometimes. It's always worth it!


The best part though. Was when we were leaving, driving home. All Timothy kept saying was how fun it was to see Lightning and Mater. Over and over and over. That made me smile. He doesn't even remember all the work it took to even make it out of the house, to the event on time, and waiting in that line in the cold for an hour. I remember though. But I remember that all the hassle was worth their joy!


Have a great day friends, and go out and make some memories!!

1 comment:

Riley said...

WHHAT Cars is on tour?! That is awesome!! You can tell your boys that I'm very jealous they got to see that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails